Groups   |   Careers   |   Sign In   |   Join Now
Search our Site
RCA - Calling in to the meeting
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/22/2018 at 9:54:15 PM GMT
RCA - Calling in to the meeting

Curious as to what other organizations do for RCAs/RCA2 when stakeholders want to call-in?  As organizations become larger and geographically dispersed the perceived need to have a call-in option is becoming more pronounced. 

I was unable to locate any recommendations from the RCA2 document, so thought I would see how other organizations handle the request and if it allowed.

Thanks in advance!

3/17/2018 at 4:55:03 PM GMT
Distance: Must have full access
My current organization does not encourage the use of distance options for RCAs. I have experience with another organization that allowed physicians and some leaders to call into the meeting, which is problematic due to the methodology used (cause mapping) to help participants put together the story in a visual flow diagram. Now if you access to video conferencing, that allows the viewer to see any documents that are displayed, it might be a viable option. I still feel it is best when these interprofessional meetings take place in person whenever possible. My advice, if you decide to make a distance option available, make sure that it allows full participation in the discussion and that all participants have access to the documents presented. 

3/19/2018 at 12:13:05 AM GMT
Besides how to do it, do you assess the value of doing it? Does it lead to actionable conclusions? Is action taken? Is it sustained? Does it make any difference?

3/19/2018 at 8:44:29 PM GMT

Our event reporting solution has functionality that can be used to facilitate RCA data collection and collaboration, but also to broadly disseminate investigatory findings (causal and contributory factors) and actions taken to reduce the frequency and/or severity of similar events in future.

To facilitate collection of information from remote staff/non-users of our system, an editable PDF document can be sent via email, which upon completion will automatically populate into the RCA record.

Chatter is a built-in communication and collaboration tool with social media-like functionality. In addition to allowing cross-functional teams to collaborate in-system on investigations, RCAs, and more, organization-wide groups can be created -- both public and private -- for wider communication.

In one example, a number of reported falls were determined to be caused by patient-transfer errors related to diagnostic imaging (radiology techs were improperly trained in transfer protocols). The health system safety team had created a system-wide "Patient Safety Champion" group in Chatter and used this venue to not only thank front-line staff for reporting these falls, but -- as a result of the related investigations -- to also release an updated protocol for review.

Lastly, our advanced analytics allow for the tracking/trending of RCAs & corrective actions to ensure compliance and success.  Configurable alerts will notify key stakeholders if the implemented corrective action is not proving effective over time or in a specific location, etc.

Brian Stromberg

Riskonnect
https://healthcare.riskonnect.com/

4/19/2018 at 4:00:09 PM GMT
Appreciate everyone's input. Not sure it has made a difference, allowing leaders to call-in, but it does complicate the process. As others have pointed out to be successful one needs to provide the documents up front and if there is a way to display those documents it is helpful for those who remote in to the RCA.

Thanks again for the input!

more Calendar

7/26/2018
Webcast: Fresh Facts: Hospital Falls and Fall Prevention

9/10/2018 » 9/12/2018
IHI/BMJ International Forum on Quality & Safety in Healthcare

Copyright ©2018 Institute for Healthcare Improvement. All Rights Reserved.

Membership Software  ::  Legal