National Patient Safety Foundation
The National Patient Safety Foundation’s vision is to create a world where patients and those who care for them are free from harm. A central voice for patient safety since 1997, NPSF partners with patients and families, the health care community, and key stakeholders to advance patient safety and health care workforce safety and disseminate strategies to prevent harm. NPSF is an independent, not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Part-Time Communications Coordinator
The Part-Time Communications Coordinator assists the Communications team with routine and project-specific writing, content management, and social media responsibilities. This part-time position will work an estimated 20 hours per week, preferably split between three business days.
- Coordinate communications request from various programs; help maintain editorial calendar
- Draft industry news posts, members in the news, monthly e-news, and other routine communications
- Assist with web and email analytics
- Write promotional copy for e-mail messaging. Work with Communications manager on design and formatting.
- Draft social media messaging and help audit/oversee the NPSF social media channels
- Perform basic video editing and audio transcription
- Interact with customers, members, and Board members via phone, email, and in person at designated events
- Collaborate with other team members to maintain and enhance NPSF website
- Professionally represent NPSF at all times
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required
- At least 2 years of professional experience with writing and communications responsibilities preferred
- Health care experience preferred; not-for-profit experience preferred
Computer and Technical Skills
- Experience editing video and transcribing audio helpful
- Intermediate/Advanced proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Experience using a database and/or Association Management System (AMS) preferred
- Ability to post and view items on NPSF social media (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn) required
- Experience using office equipment, including multi-line phone system, mail meter, and copier/scanner preferred
- Familiarity with web-based meeting platforms helpful
- Interest in learning new software platforms and applications
Language and Communication Skills
Newswriting and copyrighting abilities required
Demonstrated proofreading/editing proficiency
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business, technology, and professional journals, technical procedures and governmental regulations
Ability to write reports and business correspondence
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
Strong interpersonal skills and initiative
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Positive attitude, can-do spirit
Ability to work effectively independently and on a team
Attend and actively engage in team meetings, all-staff meetings, and NPSF annual events
Confidence to raise issues and communicate with all levels of staff
Open to receiving and providing feedback
Sound problem-solving and decision-making skills; goal oriented
Demonstrated ability to tactfully handle difficult situations
Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information
Additional Eligibility Requirements
Demonstrated integrity, understanding, and passion for our not-for-profit mission
Professional, enthusiastic, self-directed
Ability to adapt well to diverse situations and constituencies
Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
Strong interpersonal skills, energy, drive, and initiative
Demonstrated flexibility and ability to prioritize and reprioritize as conditions change
Eager to learn new applications and adapt to changing processes
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and see. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee may be asked to occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
Minimal travel is required for this position.
If you are interested in growing professionally within an innovative, highly respected organization, we invite you to submit your resume and cover letter (including requested pay range) to:
Or mail/fax to:
National Patient Safety Foundation
268 Summer Street, 6th floor
Boston, MA 02210