Patient and Family Activities
Patient Safety Awareness Week
March 2-8, 2014
The National Patient Safety Foundation is asking patients, families, and health care consumers to mark Patient Safety Awareness Week 2014 by learning about the need to make patient safety a priority. This year’s theme, Navigate Your Health…Safely reflects the fact that safe care is best achieved when health care providers ensure that patients are actively engaged in their care.
For Patient Safety Awareness Week 2014, NPSF has teamed up with the Society to Improve Diagnosis in Medicine (SIDM) to develop and disseminate educational materials for clinicians, health systems, and patients and consumers specifically related to better understanding and prevention of diagnostic errors. Click here to view or download resources for patients and families
Activities for Patients and Families
- Communicate and partner with your providers. Watch the Ask Me 3 video to see good communication in action.
- Ask your hospital or health care professional about patient safety.
- Talk to your health providers about communication and ways to improve your partnership.
- Attend an event at your own hospital or health care organization during Patient Safety Awareness Week.
- Read and use the Checklist for Getting the Right Diagnosis.
Reach out to the community
- Organize local events or other activities through your local hospital or community group to share information and stories about patient safety and medical error and prevention.
- Learn how to become more involved in your care.
- Learn how you can become an active member of your health care team.
- Learn how you can report an error within your own health care system.
Visit the Patient Resources section of our website to find helpful fact sheets, tools and information.