Mission and Vision
To improve the safety of patients by
- Identifying and creating a core body of knowledge
- Identifying pathways to apply the knowledge
- Developing and enhancing the culture of receptivity to patient safety
- Raising public awareness and foster communications about patient safety
- Improving the status of the Foundation and its ability to meet its goals
NPSF can make a long term, measurable difference by serving as a central voice, and NPSF will lead the transition from a culture of blame to a culture of safety.
The National Patient Safety Foundation is the indispensable resource for individuals and organizations committed to improving the safety of patients. We believe that:
- Patient safety is central to quality health care as reflected in the Hippocratic Oath: “Above All, Do No Harm.”
- Prevention of patient injury, through early and appropriate response to evident and potential problems, is the key to patient safety.
- Continued improvement in patient safety is attainable only through establishing a culture of trust, honesty, integrity and open communications.
- An integrated body of scientific knowledge and the infrastructure to support its development are essential to advancing patient safety significantly.
- Patient involvement in continuous learning and constant communication of information between care givers, organizations and the general public will improve patient safety.
- The system of health care is fallible and requires fundamental change to sustain