to download the Universal Patient Compact in PDF format
The Universal Patient Compact™ is a statement of principles established by NPSF to help create and maintain strong partnerships between patients and providers. NPSF believes that this partnership is critical to the delivery of safe and high quality care. The Compact’s principles are important to forming a patient-and-family-centered care process that respects the rights of patients and providers.
Q. What are the principles of the Compact?
A. The Compact includes principles that:
- Define elements of patient-and-family-centered care
- Respect the rights of patients and providers
- Focus on the relationship between the patient and the provider rather than just one side
- Include the patient and the family on the team rather than working with the team
- Help to build open and clear communication between the provider and patients and families
Q. How were these principles developed?
A. The Universal Patient Compact™ ss the outcome of a discussion during the 2007 McKesson Nursing Leadership Congress. It was introduced as part of the 2009 Patient Safety Awareness Week celebrations. The document was created with input from the Patient and Family Committee at NPSF, patient advocacy groups, NPSF Board members, Stand Up for Patient Safety member organizations, and a variety of other patient and provider representatives.
Q. How can I use the Compact?
A. Here are some suggestions for using the Compact:
- Print the Compact and bring it with you to your next appointment to help you remember what you can do as an important member of the healthcare team.
- Share the Compact with your providers and talk openly about what the principles mean.
- Find out if your local hospital has a Patient and Family Advisory Council and discuss whether they may want to build a program around the principles.
- Share it with your friends and family to help spread the word about this document and the importance of patient-and-family-centered care.
The Universal Patient Compact TM
Principles for Partnership
As your healthcare partner we pledge to:
| || |
As a patient I pledge to:
- Include you as a member of the team
- Treat you with respect, honesty and compassion
- Always tell you the truth
- Include your family or advocate when you would like us to
- Hold ourselves to the highest quality and safety standards
- Be responsive and timely with our care and information to you
- Help you to set goals for your healthcare and treatment plans
- Listen to you and answer your questions
- Provide information to you in a way you can understand
- Respect your right to your own medical information
- Respect your privacy and the privacy of your medical information
- Communicate openly about benefits and risks associated with any treatments
- Provide you with information to help you make informed decisions about your care and treatment options
- Work with you, and other partners who treat you, in the coordination of your care
- Be a responsible and active member of my healthcare team
- Treat you with respect, honesty and consideration
- Always tell you the truth
- Respect the commitment you have made to healthcare and healing
- Give you the information that you need to treat me
- Learn all that I can about my condition
- Participate in decisions about my care
- Understand my care plan to the best of my ability
- Tell you what medications I am taking
- Ask questions when I do not understand and until I do understand
- Communicate any problems I have with the plan for my care
- Tell you if something about my health changes
- Tell you if I have trouble reading
- Let you know if I have family, friends or an advocate to help me with my healthcare
| || || |